INFREQUENT RAIL TRAFFIC OPERATIONS
BENALLA - OAKLANDS CORRIDOR
ACTIVE LEVEL CROSSING REQUIREMENTS
Standing Train Notice 2811/2010 issued 20/12/2010 is now cancelled. The following will apply.
Due to infrequent rail traffic movement on the Benalla - Oaklands corridor the following instruction regarding active level crossings applies.
All Train Orders issued on the Benalla - Oaklands corridor are to be endorsed
"Approach All Active Level Crossings With Caution"
All Drivers of rail traffic movements on approach to each active level crossing on the Benalla - Oaklands line must:-
- STOP prior to the active level crossing to check whether the warning equipment is operating correctly,
- if the warning equipment is operating correctly, proceed,
- if the warning equipment is not operating correctly, the Driver must direct the Second Crew Member to operate the manual test switch for the level crossing
- once an assurance has been obtained from the Second Crew Member that the level crossing warning equipment has operated correctly for a period of not less than 25 seconds and any road vehicle / pedestrians approaching the level crossing have stopped and it is safe to do so, the train may proceed over the level crossing.
- As soon as possible, report the status of the level crossing to the Network Controller.
The above procedure also applies to Track Machines as listed in TA20 - ARTC Code of Practice for the Victorian Main Line Network.